Pages

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

I smiled at...

I  originally started off by writing a reminiscent "I-wish-I-were-on-vacation" post. Then I got bored and turned to my latest book, Heaven is Here by Stephanie Nielson. If you don't know who Stephanie Nielson is, you should. She's kind of a big deal here in Utah. During a plane accident, she was burned over 80 percent of her body and lived to rebuild her entire life. She mentions how badly she wished she could have done small things like grocery shopping, or laundry, or buttoning a coat. I thought to myself, " I am so very glad I have a normal functioning body and can do normal everyday things."

And I quit moping and looked for the little things that make me smile instead.

I smiled at Becca teaching her little posse her newest gymnastic tricks with the remains of a picnic on the front lawn.

I smiled at Jake playing with the two year old neighbor boy while his mom recovered from cancer treatments.

I smiled at the home made ice-cream on the front porch and the leftover steak in the fridge.

I smiled at my new playlist of Beatles, Eagles, ABBA, Billy Joel, Carpenters and other oldies while I finished the dishes.

I smiled at the sparkling wet grass and the golden wheat covered hill in the back yard.

I smiled at Kyrstin's funny home made acne mask

I must have smiled hundreds of times through The Borrowers, an old favorite childhood movie.

And I almost woke my parents up with giggles when Kyrstin and I decided to make Hot chocolate at midnight....In June. Shhh....don't tell.


1 comment:

  1. I smiled the entire time I read this post! One of my all time favorites!

    ReplyDelete