Pages

Monday, July 28, 2014

Mate Cocido and EFY Songs, Living the Life!

Hi again!

So we have a little extra time to write today because we had to do some survey thing...yada yada. Anyway, so I get to actually relax while I write this letter!

First of all, to answer some questions. I asked her how cold it really was and if she wears a coat I sent her. Yes its freezing. Last night it was 1 degree celsius with humidity. Just about died. Good thing I have a below zero sleeping bag! Its weird because in all the pictures its super sunny, because it is beautiful outside, but still freezing! It doesn't make sense to me. Sun, and freezing. But that's what it is! Mom, I do wear the skirt from the package. I have found the warmest thing to do is wear leggins that I bought that are fleecy inside with a thick pair of socks and boots on top of that. Then it really doesn't matter what skirt you wear on top because it feels like I'm wearing pants. The skirt in the package doesn't go too well with the boots so I don't wear it TOO often but I do wear it. 

Not really "just-wear-a-coat" weather. More like just wear coat-liner-boots-llama fur gloves-knitted hat weather. 

SOOOO the biggest news from this week was the leader ship meeting we had with president. Oh and Basically a Sister Training Leader is like a zone leader for the sisters. As you probably know, our mission has been big on using numbers and lots of little rules. In the magazine from president last week, he basically told us he was getting rid of the old system of a mission standard for the numbers and going to use the definitions of the key indicators from Preach My Gospel. Everyone was a little lost all week and we weren't sure if what we were doing was right or wrong, or somewhere in between, but we showed up at the meeting eager for clarification. President talked a lot about how we have the responsibility to become our own agents. ( I think that is how you say "agentes" in English?) That we can leave with a bunch of little rules and learn obedience, (the easy law-of-Moses like way) or we could learn to be responsible for our own actions and decisions (the risky but rewarding way.) He talked a lot about how his purpose here was to help us progress as people and future leaders of the church, and because of that, he felt like he needed to do what many parents have done and trust us with a little more freedom, but with high expectations. So, he handed us out a little packet of papers and told us that this would replace the giant list of rules that we have in our personal binders. Basically we went from a list of more than twenty five mission rules to four.
1. We don't drink tap water
2. We don't drink normal mate 
3. The only approved videos are those that you can buy from the mission office
4. Follow the rules in the white handbook

Just about everyone's minds exploded in the same moment. People started asking questions like, "Sooo... we can drink mate cocido? (mate that you drink in your own personal cup instead of sharing a straw with everyone like the Argentine's do.)" "Soooo... we can listen to music other than MOTAB?" "Soooo....we can eat lunch in the same house as the Elders?" "Sooo...we can spend more than fifteen minutes in a member's house?" Every time the assistants said, "What does the handbook say?" Or "what do you think?" And we all came to the answer that YES we can do all those things BUT with our own responsibility and precaution. YES we can listen to songs other than MOTAB but if its a song that distracts us from the work, we are expected to choose for ourselves to not listen to it even if it is "mission approved." Sooo...I will be buying Mate cocido today and I will tell you how it goes! Everyone says its gross, but its Argentina so I will have to like it. 

(It's a good thing the other missionaries from our mission can't read this, because they technically won't know about all this until tomorrow...oops.)

Also, Hermana Robertson was sick of eating pizza, pop and empanadas in every leadership meeting and decided to make us something more healthy. We had barbeque beef sandwiches with carrots, apples, water, and SNICKERDOODLES! I don't think I have ever loved seeing vegetables so much.  It's also hilarious trying to teach the latins how to say snickerdoodle. You should try it sometime. 

Other than that, the biggest news from this week has been our investigator Lucas. He's twenty one and such a handful because he doesn't want to commit to ANYTHING but we finally got him to open up to us this week about why he is nervous about baptism. We were able to work things out and he had his baptismal interview yesterday! He will be baptized a week from Saturday so please be praying for him and his family. He's suuuuper shy.

Anyway. Love you all!

Hermana Millett


Pictures:  Mallory's worn out shoes, and her area is filled with train tracks (poor dead dog not uncommon on tracks)




No comments:

Post a Comment