Pages

Thursday, February 14, 2013

Every Girl's Guide to Slow Dances: Valentine's Edition

Can you guess where I spent my Valentine's evening? At a super awesome BYU stake dance! Ok...I know that sounds REALLY lame, but it was a blast. I may or may not have gotten a little too cray cray out on the dance floor (and I don't EVER say cray cray so.....you get the point). The only downer.....slow dances. The guy to girl ratio at any stake dance leaves handfuls of girls danceless and clueless about how to act.  Ladies! Why is this always the case!!!

You all know the drill. The guitar music and silky smooth vocals replace the crazy pounding and your hands get all sweaty. You duck your head to avoid accidental eye contact with a boy that is 'on the hunt', but still wish to be asked to dance. You play with your hair, stare blankly at a friend, or start to awkwardly sway back and forth. And ultimately, you resort to one of five strategies.

1. The "Always Dehydrated" strategy:: Girls who use this strategy tend to dart for the drinking fountain the second the music changes. They are the reason for the EXTREMELY long lines during a slow song and will often need to use the bathroom more often as well...oops. Boys also resort to this strategy when they turn chicken.

2. The "Wall Flower" Strategy:: This is the typical 'stand against the wall and look longingly at your shoe in hopes that some poor soul will take pity on you and ask for a dance' attempt. Please girls, nobody wants to be a pity dance so quit asking for it.

3. The "Suddenly I'm a Professional Dancer" strategy:: We've all seen this one in the works. This is when the song is particularly moving so every 'non-attached' girl has to show their skills in interpretive dancing. I'll admit, I've opted for this strategy on occasion. Why its fun? I don't really know. Why its embarrassing? Well that's pretty obvious.

4. The "Lets Be Rejects Together" strategy:: This happens when two girls who don't have a male partner for the dance decide to become each other's partner for the dance, which in my opinion, is the most awkward of them all. They often stare spitefully at the couples around them, or mix in a little bit of the "Suddenly I'm a Profession Dancer" strategy.

5. The "Chatty Kathy" strategy:: This is my go to strategy whenever I become a victim of the unbalanced male/female ratio. It involves standing in a tight circle of other victims (friends or strangers. Any girl can bond over being put in this awkward situation) and making casual conversation while constantly checking the peripherals for nervous stragglers still pulling girls away from other tight knit circles. Not ideal, but it serves its purpose.

Why do we do this? Its happens from age fourteen until marriage!! Something needs to be done, I just don't know what is, so for now... I'll just over analyze things and laugh at them from a standoffish point. Feel free to add your input. I've given you more than enough of mine.


1 comment: