Pages

Sunday, January 15, 2012

A Spiritual Sunday

So yesterday I went running again for the first time since the weather turned cold. I forgot how much it hurts trying to get back into shape after that long. As I ran, I recalled an experience that made a big difference to me and how I look at things. I figured since its Sunday, I could use the spiritual reminder.

It all started two summers ago when my family decided that we were going to run a 5k together. To all you athletic/fit people a 5k sounds like a breeze, but for me it was a big deal. I like running. I really do. I just feel like there should be a purpose to running. I love playing basketball, soccer, or a night game that requires speed and agility, but running just for the sake of running is really hard for me. Needless to say, I knew this race would be difficult.

I had prepared all summer for this day and I was excited to feel that sense of accomplishment that comes when you complete a goal. As I jumped out of our 15 passenger Mormon Assault Vehicle, I slammed my knee on a part of the door and gasped at the pain.  It didn't seem like a big deal at first, but then a huge bruise started to form and I couldn't walk on the leg without a new burst of pain. With only an hour left until the race, I knew I wouldn't be able to run it.

It was my mom that suggested the blessing, and I readily accepted. My dad wasn't there yet, but my uncle Curtis agreed to administer it and we headed back into the van for some privacy. During the blessing, he told me that my leg would be healed and I was happy about that, but the most important thing he said was that my Heavenly Father was aware of my goals and he knew how much they meant to me. I was promised that I would be able to feel him throughout the race and I  ran it faster than I had ever completed the route in my training.

Now although my testimony of the power of the priesthood was strengthened, that wasn't why this experience meant so much to me. It was the fact that He cared. That even though the world is at war and people are dying everyday, even though there are children starving in so many countries, and even though He has billions of children to care for, He cared about my hurt knee and a silly 5k race.

I testify, that one thing I know to be true more than anything in this world is that I have a Heavenly Father that loves and cares about me. He listens to my prayers. He laughs and cries with me as I experience what this life has to give me. He knows the very depths of my heart, and He does the same for you too. Why does He care you may ask? Because we are his children and he loves us. It is simple as that.

1 comment:

  1. Mal I love this. You Are a great example. Thanks for sharing this:)

    ReplyDelete