Also, missionary month was always so fun! Every time I try something new
to eat or learn to cook something new, I think of what I am going to
make for missionary month someday in the future. There are way too many
great foods here!
Well, I'm not even sure what to write about
this week. Mostly, we just faced a whole ton of opposition and learned
A LOT. Seriously, every single thing that could have gone wrong this week
happened. It was a good week as far as having amazing experiences with
investigators and finding new people so we were happy all week, but as
far as baptisms go EVERYTHING was fighting against us. We had a goal for
three baptisms this month that we KNEW the Lord wanted for us and we
didn't have any. The other two companionships that share our branch also
had a goal of three each and the same thing happened. We were running
all over town working like crazy, doing everything possible to help each
other to reach our goals and to help their investigators, but nothing
happened. This past Friday, we had a baptism scheduled with five people
who were ready to be baptized into our branch. The night beforehand,
there was a CRAZY storm like nothing I have ever seen before! We were
sitting in a meeting at the church with our Ward mission leader when
the power went out in the entire city. It was already nine and we had to
leave to get to the apartment on time, but it was pitch black and
raining like crazy. Seriously, the only thing I could compare it too was
when we were in Brazil for piano tour and rained for like ten minutes,
but the streets were filled with water. It was like that all over again,
except we were riding our bikes in the storm and it was pitch black
outside. We could only see where we were going because of the constant
lightning. I couldn't stop laughing because I just couldn't believe that
it was real! We had a pretty good wake behind each of our bikes and we
had to hold nightly planning by candle light when we got back to the
apartment. The next day (the day of the baptisms) there still wasn't
power or water in the chapel. No water means no baptisms. We got
permission from president to hold the baptisms in a swimming pool so we
were running around town and calling members trying to find someone with
a clean swimming pool. When that didn't work, we called the fire
fighters and they agreed to come and fill the font right before the
baptisms.However, the investigator of the Elders had an accident and was
in the hospital, ours called right before hand and said that he didn't
think he could keep the sabbath day holy after his baptism and so he
wanted to wait until the next month, and the family of the Hermana's
left on a last minute vacation and won't return until March. We had to
call the firefighters and cancel. They were pretty sad. They Elders were
sad too. They wanted to convert the firefighters. So after all the
craziness, we didn't have any baptisms, but we learned a lot in how we
need to be SOOO prepared for any thing that happens. We have plans, and
back up plans, and back up back up plans. We can't put off all our
baptisms until the end of the month. Our zone leaders aren't too happy
with us, but we know exactly what we need to do to improve next month
and we are looking forward to an amazing February.
I'm going to send a picture of my companion and I after the crazy storm. I need to take more pictures.
Happy Birthday to Spencer and Carli and Savannnah these past weeks!
Hermana Millett
P.S. Sooo,
my biggest struggle has been homesickness. In the beginning of my
mission it was BAD but now I'm almost never homesick, but when a memory
hits its pretty powerful. I thought you would think it funny that this
month, the thing that has been making it the hardest to focus is
memories of Lake Powell. EVERYTHING reminds me of Lake Powell and I have
no idea why because nothing is even remotely close to Lake Powell here,
but ya. We have to go to Powell when we get back and don't worry, I
really am learning to focus better.
Explanation of Picture:
Explanation of Picture:
My companion
and I in our front patio after the storm! I have to explain the skirt I
am wearing. My first companion (my mama) gave me this skirt. I call it
my ugly skirt because it is a mixture of the most random colors you could
ever think of, but it is sooo comfy and I can ride a bike in it, so
whatever. I figure, now is the time more than ever to wear whatever the
heck you want because as long as it is a skirt, who cares. Maybe Kyrst
thinks differently, but out here in Campo, anything goes!

No comments:
Post a Comment