Pages

Monday, December 16, 2013


Whew! I can`t believe Christmas is coming up so fast! For the most part I haven`t been home sick about it because it is SO STINKIN HOT. Seriously I can`t even imagine Christmas time when it feels like Lake Powell in July. I literally sleep with the fan on, my hair in a bun on top of my head, and without any coverings of any type. I would pull the wet sheet trick, but I don`t want to get eaten alive by the bugs either. Yes Kyrst, I think I have the best tan I`ve ever had in my life, but it is definitely a sister missionary tan. (Farmers tan and everything.) 
Anyway, to answer some questions, mom, the language is coming along great! I can always get my point across even if it is in a very round about way sometimes. My companion is great at helping me with vocab specifically of Argentina. Also, it seems I have the gift of being able to speak with the accent. Most people think I have been here for like seven months until I have to ask what a word means purely because I have the accent down. Also, I play the piano ALL THE TIME now because our branch is so tiny and other than the other American sister missionary, I am the only one who plays the piano. Oh and I am supposed to ask you if you know a Salvador Molto from your mission in Mendoza.  The family whose computer I am using to skype you guys is like the greatest member family in the WORLD!  They are a cute young married couple with a very spunky two year old daughter. Brother Cortez served his mission in Ogden, and Sister Cortez is from Mendoza. Her dad is Salvador Molto and she said he was one of the pioneer members as well as a bishop and a ward mission leader there. So maybe you met him? Hermana Cortez is really excited to know if you did. Yes we will be making another five hour bus trip to the offices for the pday before Christmas. We get to go to the temple as a mission, have a Christmas lunch, and then a musical program that I am singing in. SO EXCITED! 

Also, I don`t know if you are sending a birthday package because my birthday is so soon after Christmas, but the next transfer meeting will be the day of my birthday and so I will be able to have the zone leaders bring it from the offices if you send something. Really, whatever you send would be great, but a couple of ideas you could choose from that I would like. Bug spray with 35 percent deet ( they don`t sell anything more than 15 percent here) whatever american food (instant oatmeal packages, hot chocolate, mint oreos, peanut butter, waffle crisp, starbursts), and some really great MOTAB CDs. The weekend that we had exchanges and I went another area, my ipod broke somehow when I was gone. It won`t hold battery anymore and so I would love it if Dad could maybe put a bunch of the music on CDs and send them. Every apartment has a CD player. 

Bueno, this week has been great! The most exciting thing has been that we are preparing two fantastic women to be baptized the week of Christmas. The first, Rosa (the woman in the picture that I sent last week), has been such a miracle. Hermana Medeyro and her old companion found her a couple days before I arrived here in Junin, and at first she didn`t want to let the missionaries into her house. Its crazy to think that she is even the same person because the change has been so crazy. Yesterday at church, my companion and I gave the lesson in the Gospel Principles Sunday school class about service. Her hand was up every two minutes with wonderful comments. After sacrament meeting, we lost track of her and were afraid that she had left, but we found her talking to the relief society president asking if she could come and clean the chapel one day before work. We were shocked! She is so excited to be a member and her baptism will be another amazing experience. The second investigator we have is Ana Maria. I don`t think I have ever seen someone so excited to be baptized.  She is an older woman with flaming red hair and an attitude to match it.  Because of health problems, she is unable to work and her lifestyle is very simple, but she has so much faith in the Lord. This week she had a power outage in her building and she didn`t have a flash light. I remembered I had one and so we decided to head back to the apartment to get it and bring it to her, but we only had seven minutes until we had to be in the apartment and it was about a fifteen minute trip. I don`t think I have ever ridden so fast and hard in my life! When we got back to the apartment in the nick of time, we collapsed on the floor laughing and covered in sweat. I think this is what it means to be a missionary sometimes. You love your investigators so much that you are willing to sacrifice so much for them!  She was orphaned at age eleven and during a lesson I had the strongest prompting to teach about the temple and family history work. Now she is even more excited to baptized because she wants to be baptized for her mom in the temple afterwards! 

We also had our branch Christmas party here. South American schedules are different and so the party started at eight thirty at night and finished around midnight. Of course we had to leave early, but our investigators stayed the whole party and now have good friends in the branch! Such a blessing. I will send pictures next week because I don`t have time today. 

Some Argentine cultural stuff, I saw my first cockroach in our apartment. We screamed a lot and threw shoes and whatever else until it was dead. The next morning we woke up the and there were a ton of ants on our floor. Luckily we had the ant poison to get rid of them, but when my companion saw them she said. `I think its going to rain today`. I looked at the cloudless sky and thought `shes crazy` but later that day a crazy storm blew in from nowhere. Apparently when there are more cockroaches and ants it means its going to rain? 

Lots of Love

Hermana Millett!


No comments:

Post a Comment