Ok, so I'm starting to freak out just a
little bit that I leave the MTC in a week and a half. WHAT!? Its sooo
cool to see your pictures Kyrst and hear stories from the real mission
field. Its true that the MTC kind of feels like EFY at a prison
sometimes. An extremely fun, amazing, spiritual prison, but a prison
none the less. I just heard back from one of my old MTC roomates that
got to Canada and she said she is opening a new area for her first
transfer and she and another brand new missionary are training each
other. Soooo....crazy stuff happens in the mission but I'm sooooo
excited to just get out there and have an adventure no matter what
happens.
Kyrst - Soooo Elder Holland! (Kyrst has been praying since the first week of her mission that Pres Holland would visit her mission and now he is) Thats
amazing! Also, I have a random story to tell you that might mean
nothing at all but might end up being cool so I'll just tell you. We did
a live chat with a woman from chile (we basically had to have the guy
in charge of our pilot program over our shoulder the whole time because
we don't understand chilean spanish at all and he served in Santiago so
he translated) Anyway, she told us that she has a friend she has been
talking to about the church and he is in a position to be open to the
gospel. He lives in Utah right now but will be heading back to his home
in Santiago in November and wants to find a way to start over in life.
His name is Adian and she wanted me to tell you his name, but we told
her to give his name and address to the missionaries in Salt Lake
because that would be easier but if for some crazy reason you run into
some random guy named Adian who has lived in Utah that would be cool.
Dad - I see Elder Pagett (A family Troy grew up
with) just about every day and Mike and Penney are his aunt and uncle.
He told me that Mike died of a heart attack about twelve years ago
though. I didn't know if you knew that, but its weird how many crazy
connections you can make with random people at the MTC! Also when Elder
Anderson talked about your mission companion I almost yelled "That's my
dad's mission companion!" in a room of thousands of missionaries, but I
held it in and just told my companion. I thought it was cool that I
recognized his name though!
Mom - Muy bien hecho with that last package. The
pumpkin pie almonds are making me excited for Thanksgiving and make it
feel more like fall and the toffee reminds me of Grammy's toffee at
Christmas. Yum!
Yes mom, conference in the MTC was like Christmas.
The entire west campus came up and hung out at the main campus all day
and we watched all the sessions as an entire MTC in the gym. They
rebroadcasted the relief society broadcast during priesthood and we got
to do whatever we wanted between sessions which was a big change from
our usually overly scheduled days. We took temple walks and naps and
talked to a lot of west campus missionaries. It was very fun! I got to
sit next to Sister Scott(my BYU roommate of two years) for all the
Saturday sessions! At one moment we just kind of sat in shock that a
year ago, we were sitting next to each other on our couch in Glenwood
not even considering a mission and now we were sitting next to each
other as missionaries at the MTC. I get to see her just about every day
and I love it! I also went into to conference with three very distinct
and specific questions and then there was a talk that was just PERFECT
for each of the questions. I especially loved Elder Uchdorfs from
Saturday and Elder Scotts. I felt like I got more out of one session of
conference than I usually get out of the whole weekend. Maybe its
because we are used to sitting and listening to speakers all day every
day, or maybe its just because we are missionaries and the atmosphere
was right, but whatever it was, it was cool. The most amazing part was
that whenever they prayed for the missionaries I could feel those
prayers so strongly. Its soo amazing to get to be one of those
missionaries in this day and age! I love every day that I get to be
here.
One of my good friends told a story about conference
during a BYU FHE once that has always stuck with me. I don't remember
it exactly, but you will get the point. He said that there were a bunch
of ducks getting together for a meeting about how to be better. They
walked from far distances to get to the meeting, and in the meeting one
of the ducks said, "I've learned a better way to travel!" and he taught
them all how to fly. The ducks were amazed and they all spent time
learning how to fly, and then they all walked home. He applied it to the
fact that we can learn a lot at conference, but unless we use what
we've learned and act on it, our knowledge won't do much good for us.
I've been thinking a lot about how to use the knowledge I gained and
hopefully you will too!
Anyway, Sunday's are the best at the MTC! We get a
lot of down time and then we hear from a speaker and get to watch a
church movie. This week we were a little "devotional-ed out' after
sitting in the same room for all of conference so we were so excited to
see that our devotional would be by BYU's Vocal point! Oh my gosh it was
amazing. I think most of the sister missionaries got a little
distracted from the message of the meeting seeing as this was the first
contact we had had with normal twenty one year old BYU students for
weeks. Its crazy what living with only fresh out of high school eighteen
year olds who still think they are the top of the world will do to you.
Oh well. We decided that we would watch Testaments in Spanish for our
Sunday night movie. We were feeling pretty good about our Spanish now
that we can understand just about everything our teachers and
investigators say to us and hold our ground in conversation. Haha joke.
The movie brought us down from that cloud real quick. Half way through I
resulted to reading the actors lips because it was only dubbed over
with Spanish. Soo...Argentina will be interesting but I'm excited to
just get out there and not know anything and just have to trust in the
Lord and watch for miracles. I know I am in his care and I can do
anything with him. We are still working hard and we will hit the field
with our best even if it isn't great. Also just a little MTC chisme
(gossip), we've heard that maybe an apostle will be speaking to us this
upcoming Tuesday? Our choir director told us that they are broadcasting
the devotional to all the MTC's in the world and soo...that should be
fun! We are supposed to spread the rumor so we get a full choir this
week.
Also, I've decided that my very favorite thing to do
here at the MTC is to host new missionaries. This was my third week
doing it and I can't wait to do it next week to! It just reminds me how
exciting it really is to be here. Its also fun to see the deer in the
head lights look on so many faces and realize I really have come so far
already. Its fun to be one of the older missionaries who knows what's
up. Part of my duties as a Sister Training Leader is to teach MTC
orientation with the zone leaders for our new districts each week.
Afterwards we get to take them around a tour of the MTC. My favorite
part is that there is a tree the smells like cream soda. No Joke. We
always have to take our missionaries to smell the tree! I'll send a
picture next week. I guess the whole government shutting down thing has
had an impact on missionaries getting their visas to MTC's outside of
the U.S. We got tons of missionaries this week that were supposed to go
to other MTC's but couldn't. That means the newest district to our zone
has TWELVE ELDERS in it. My district has seven people and only five
elders and we were considered pretty big. Crazy stuff!
We still have no clue about the visa situation but
we should be hearing any day now. I might get to email about it when I
know, but I'm not sure. Either way, next week will have a lot of
information about sending extra stuff home, figuring out the airport
phone call, and figuring out where I'm going! I'm happy with whatever
happens. It would be fun to be in the states for Christmas and
Thanksgiving (I'll answer your Christmas question when I know next week
mom) and to have another mission experience, but I would also love to
skip this upcoming winter and go straight to Argentina! We will see.
Some random funny stories - I got pretty sick from
drinking overdue milk that I got out of the vending machine here. Not
fun, but funny to think back on. Also, my district has had a hard time
not laughing during prayers because sometimes Spanish doesn't come out
right. Our teacher told us that there will be many times that
investigators do weird things during their first prayers and you have to
hold the laughter in. He taught us to plug our nose when it happens so
that we can be respectful. That night in our district prayer, someone
accidentally said something ridiculous. Just so you know, plugging your
nose doesn't work. It turned the laughter into snorting. Oh well. We
are slowly but surely learning!
Love you all!
Hermana Millett
Ok so right after I sent that last email, OUR TRAVEL PLANS CAME!!!!! WE ARE GOING STRAIGHT TO ARGENTINA!!!!!! I'm assuming we are going on travel visa's because our entire district is going, but the flight has been booked and our mission president will be waiting to pick us up on the 22nd! That means I leave the MTC at 6 am on the 21st of October. Only ten more days! Ah!!! I really feel so blessed to be at the MTC at this time. I know this is exactly when and where I needed to be at the MTC! Walk by the temple between conference sessions.
Participating in Pilot program. Teaching using Skype
Cleaning Duties
Ok so right after I sent that last email, OUR TRAVEL PLANS CAME!!!!! WE ARE GOING STRAIGHT TO ARGENTINA!!!!!! I'm assuming we are going on travel visa's because our entire district is going, but the flight has been booked and our mission president will be waiting to pick us up on the 22nd! That means I leave the MTC at 6 am on the 21st of October. Only ten more days! Ah!!! I really feel so blessed to be at the MTC at this time. I know this is exactly when and where I needed to be at the MTC! Walk by the temple between conference sessions.
Participating in Pilot program. Teaching using Skype
Cleaning Duties






No comments:
Post a Comment