Pages

Monday, September 16, 2013

First Letter Provo MTC

Hello everyone!!!
Wow I already have a lot to say and not a ton of time. First, I hope I am even sending this to the right people. I forgot to ask what email addresses to send these to so let me know if it is something different. Second, I LOVE the MTC! Mom was right in saying that it would be a fun rest of the day wednesday and everyday has been very fun since! The days feel like weeks because we do soo much in one day but I still love it. (Also, Friday's are my P-days if you didn't catch that.)

I am always amazed by how organized everything is here. When I first walked through the gates, I was just sent from one person to another in a long line and given my tag (Allie Howe's mom/Cade Terris's aunt got to put it on), my room key, my ID card, my books and my companion! My companions name is Sister Foutz and she is the cutest sweetest girl ever. I feel like I already have a built in best friend for the six weeks that I am here. She is from Las Vegas and for those of you who went to high school with me, she reminds me of Jessica Harmon so much that its a little weird. ( and I didn't know Jessica that well.) The best part is that she is also going to the Buenos Aires West mission along with my whole district so we will get to see each other for the rest of our mission! My district is also amazing! We are the only sisters and there are five other elders who are all recently graduated eighteen year olds, but we already feel like close friends. Our zone and roomates are also amazing. I can't believe how lucky I have been to associate with such amazing people. There are only three other sisters in the zone and they are our roommates. Two of them leave this week and we are hoping we will have some new sisters on Wednesday. Just so I will remember this later, their names are Sister Acosta (going to Costa Rica), Sister Dautell (Canada Spanish Speaking) and Sister Shoemaker (St. George Spanish Speaking). I don't know if we are related somewhere down the line to sister shoemaker but its very possible!

As for spanish, we were thrown in from the minute we got here. Our teachers VERY rarely speak English, but I have been really surprised at how much I remember. I have been very grateful for my high school spanish! I can understand just about everything my teachers say and can even speak back. It has really helped me keep a positive attitude. I can tell some of the Elders struggled the first day because they couldn't understand anything that was going on. I think that would have made things much harder. We teach our first "investigator" in Spanish tonight and I'm very excited! I am loving speaking Spanish and I can tell a lot of those blessing from my setting apart are coming true. I'm constantly looking forward to learning more.

One of the biggest things I have learned so far is that we teach PEOPLE not lessons. We had a group activity the first night where they divided the new missionaries into three groups with a different investigator in each room. The investigators were convert members, but they acted the part of themselves before they joined the church. Our teachers started the lesson, and then we took turns raising our hands and answering questions or teaching principles. At one point, we couldn't figure out what the investigator needed and why he didn't seem to care about the message. I even raised my hand and bore my testimony, but it didn't seem to do much. We realized it was because of the experiences he had had in his life made it difficult for him to believe us. After he told us his situation we knew EXACTLY how to help him. We just needed to get to know his needs before we started teaching. That is what we have been working on the most with preach my gospel. 

Just some random things, our meal hours are pretty early. We have breakfast at 7:00, lunch at 11:40 and dinner at 4:40 so by the time we get to our rooms at 9:00 we are hungry again. I would love some snacks that aren't sugary treats for after dinner. Beef Jerkey or Cheeze Its or something like that maybe? I don't know. Salty would be good. I also forgot my mini preach my gospels and those would be wonderful to have so I don't have to carry the big ones around. I think they are in the scripture cupboard. The last thing I forgot was an Argentina pin that i bought at the bookstore. Its in the storage bin by the foot of my bed in the front pocket of my mexican bag. I would love to have that too. Speaking of mail, we get dearelder letters and other packages every day and its soooo great to have something to look forward to, so everyone send me lots of letters while it is still easy and cheap in the MTC. 

Oh, and Kyrst, remember Brother Merrill from the work crew at pageant who said you were his crush of pageant or whatever that was? Ya, he's my zone leader. He recognized me and I didn't say anything, but he said he recognized me because one of his friends liked you. I knew it was really him so I just had to laugh to myself a little bit. Also, one of the Elder's in my district's twin brother got to the Santiago MTC on Wednesday. Keep an eye out for Edler Van Liew!

Hmmm, so I think that is everything. Its a longer letter today because I didn't have to use any of my time reading emails but I have had sooo much going on! I'm soooo excited to hear about Katie's mission call, so you will have to dearelder me as soon as you know. I would even love to know if its been assigned yet. 

Love
Hermana Millett

No comments:

Post a Comment