You see, growing up we have very different motivations for things we do. I did things because Mom asked me too, or a teacher expected it of me. Since moving here, I have felt a lot lazier. I haven't volunteered for extra service opportunities, I haven't been involved as much, I haven't been as clean or healthy, I sometimes would watch TV before homework, and I did all this just because I could. Simply because I am in control of my life now and I can do what I want to some degree.
Then I got mad at myself. Why weren't things working out the way I wanted? Why was it so difficult to really do my best instead of getting just the minimal required amount done? Why was it so hard to remember little things like prayer and scripture study? I kept implementing new strategies and setting new goals that always fell through.
And thats when it hit me. Motivation. It has always come from parents, leaders, and teachers and now that I'm on my own, I have to learn to find it within myself. So I set some new goals for the sole purpose of making it easier to to be motivated. Things like no blogging until AFTER my to do list is done, and write EVERYTHING down so I can track my progress and keep things fresh in my memory. Its really working. I've learned how to use my emotions (passion, longing, hope) to fuel every hard thing I set my mind too. I'm running again. Not because my whole family is doing it, but because I want to do it for me. My room has been clean for a week, not because mom has been nagging, but because I realize I like it better that way. My days have been more productive and I have even been taking on extra responsibilities that I find interesting and self fulfilling.
The lesson to be taken from this is that we need to do things for the right reasons, and when we do, it brings so much more satisfaction. I also realized that boys learn all these things on their missions. Girls have to figure it out on their own. So, if I ever want to have a successful relationship later on in life, I need to ready myself. I'm getting there. I'm moving forward. I will be ready.

I feel exactly the same way, Mallory! It's amazing how living on your own makes you realize things like that. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!
ReplyDelete